Summary: I. The Condition - II. The Promise - III. The Results - IV. The Privilege
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- People crave for new things today - new house, new phones, new computer, new cars, clothes, new job, hairstyles, a new face, new marriage, new excitement
- But how new can you get?
- Eventually, nothing will be new anymore.
It’s like the man trying to sell an old warehouse. As prospective buyers came by he tried to persuade them to buy : I’ll fix the windows, clear out all the rubbish, replace the roof he would say. It got him nowhere, until one buyer said: forget about the repairs. when I buy this place, I’m going to build something completely different. I don’t want the building; I want the site.
I. The Condition
“Be In Christ” — If any man be in Christ he is a new Creation
- Fled to Him for shelter & salvation
- Fled to the City of Refuge - (Num 35:6-11)
- His Atoning Work
- In Christ – As the branch is in the vine
- For strength
- For Supply
II. The Promise
“A New Creature” (Creation)
- Seed to a tree
- Egg to a creature
- Caterpillar to a butterfly
Made new in a radical sense
Jesus to Nicodemus John 3:3KJV Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Paul knew it - Ephesians 2:10KJV
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
1. It Is A New Life
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
2. It Is A New Mind
20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
3. It Is A New Heart & Spirit
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. 28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.
4. It Is A New Song
1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. 2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
III. The Results
... old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new
- It’s the WOW! of Christ’s love & work
- With a new creation comes new views
New view of:
- We sin because we try to fill the void with something other than Christ
It is a crime & a curse
Not a misfortune & a debt
- Freedom of guilt — “old things”
- Freedom to live — “new things”
- Comparing Gen 1:1-2 of the creation world with the new creation of the believer
- Without purpose
- Then the Sp. Of God moves
- He is not history but His story
- A living reality in daily life
- Not of profit & pleasure
- But a workshop for Christ
IV. The Privilege
... if any man
- I am an any man
- Any man covers the sad & sinful
- The old & forgetful
- The young & insignificant