Summary: There is much to be learned about Jesus by examining His prayers. Today we will look at three of them. The prayer at His baptism, the prayer when he fed the 5000 and the prayer on the Mount of Transfiguration. Blessings as we study together!
• Last week we began a series called “Learning from the Prayers of Jesus.”
• We talked about His prayer life
• We spent the majority of the time on His instructions concerning prayer in the Lord’s Prayer
• Repeat the A.C.T.S. acronym for prayer
• Today we will begin looking at some of the prayers that Jesus actually prayed!
I. JESUS PRAYED AT HIS BAPTISM
21. Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
22. And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
A. This was the beginning of His “public” ministry
1. Every great ministry is birthed, and continually bathed, in prayer.
B. Luke’s Gospel specifically says that Jesus was PRAYING WHILE being baptized.
1. The heaven’s opened
a) We can live under an “open heaven”
b) There are other places in Scripture that allude to an open heaven!
2. The Spirit descended “in a bodily shape” like a dove (Luke’s account) upon Him
a) Matthews account (the eyewitness account) speaks of the Spirit descending “like” a dove upon Him. A dove descends straight down very fast.
3. God spoke audibly
a) This is my beloved Son
b) I’m pleased with Him
II. JESUS PRAYED BEFORE FEEDING THE 5000
16. Then he took the five loaves and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed them, and brake, and gave to the disciples to set before the multitude.
17. And they did eat, and were all filled: and there was taken up of fragments that remained to them twelve baskets.
A. God is a God of Order
1. Jesus had them set the men in companies of 50. Once they were organized Jesus prayed and a miracle took place.
B. The Order
1. Jesus Blessed
2. Jesus Brake
3. Jesus Gave to others so that they could give. This reminds me of two passages of Scripture.
9. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
11. So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
C. The Results
1. The men didn’t just look at it they ate. - Receiving Requires Activity (The Church seems to teach a lot about sowing/giving but very little about reaping/receiving!)
2. They were filled - because they participated!
3. There were 12 baskets of leftovers - the blessing!