Summary: This is the 2nd sermon in the "Unpopular" series. This sermon gives the warning in which Lot’s wife did not heed: Don’t look back!
Sunday Morning, April 14, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “Unpopular” [#2]
FIGHT THE URGE
1. Ever get your mind set on doing something your way regardless of what anyone else thinks, even God? This morning I will tell you that the devil knows exactly how to tempt you. He knows what will trip you up. What you need to do is fight the urge to sin.
2. God was preparing to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. Because of God’s love and covenant with Abraham, God shared with Abraham what was going to happen. Abraham asked God to spare the city if 50 righteous could be found, but there was not 50 righteous. Abraham tried 45, then 40, them 30, then 20, and finally he asked God if He would spare the city if 10 righteous could be found, but not even righteous could be found.
3. In Genesis 19 we find that two angels arrived and Lot not knowing these two men insisted that they stay at his home. While at Lots home that evening, the men of the city wanted Lot to send them out so they could have sex with them. The men even tried to break into the home, but the angels struck them with blindness talk about evil! These people just keep sinning over and over again like it doesn’t matter.
4. This brings us to our text.
1. Lot was pleading with his son-in-laws but they just laughed.
2. Why would they not listen? People’s hearts become so hardened that they stop hearing the warnings given to them.
3. I don’t know how long God’s patience is, but there comes a point where He says, “Fine, have it your way.”
What They Thought.
1. Again, Lot’s Son-in-law thought this was a joke.
2. There are actually people today that thing Christianity is a joke. Things like Heaven and Hell are a joke.
3. Let me tell you when those people die, they won’t think it’s a joke.
1. Lot did not want to leave anything or anyone behind, but time was up.
2. Notice, the angels told Lot to hurry or he and his family would also die.
3. Lot hesitated, but the angels grabbed each of them by the hand and took them out of the city. In Colossians 1:13, we find that Christ rescued us.
Don’t look Back
1. Lot and his family were rescued. They were told not to look back.
2. I know it was difficult for Lot to leave and go somewhere new, but it is difficult for us also.
3. See, we are to flee our past lives and sins because Christ has rescued us. Don’t look back!
Fighting The Urge.
1. Lot’s wife knew not to look back.
2. The temptation was too much for her to handle.
3. What sin in your life controls you to the point that you can’t fight the urge?
Falling To The Urge.
1. Lot’s wife fell to the temptation and looked back.
2. Please see this: You can’t walk the fence very long before you fall. In Revelation 3 we see a church that tried to walk the fence.
3. When you give in to sin, it will paralyze you. Regardless of your excuses for falling to that sin, God does not “buy it.” God gives you a way out.
1. Are you here this morning with a sin or sins in your life that are paralyzing you? Give them to God.
2. Are you holding on to the past to the point that you don’t want to let go and you can’t move forward? God wants you to allow Him to take you by the hand and lead you to safety.
3. Today, choose to walk in the ways of God.