Summary: A very balanced presentation of the Gifts of Holy Spirit as used to strengthen the Body of Christ.
The Spirit Filled Life (Part 2): The Gifts of the Spirit
1 Corinthians 12:7, â€œNow to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.â€
I. â€œNow to each oneâ€ The spiritual gifts are for every member of the body.
A. In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit and his empowerment was only available to a select few.
B. The priesthood of the believer.
Acts 2:16, 17, â€œ16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17 " `In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.
1PE 2:9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
Isaiah 61:6a, â€œISA 61:6 And you will be called priests of the LORD, you will be named ministers of our God.
God gave pastors and the other ministries to the church for the purpose of:
Ephesians 4:12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up.
The ministry is for the whole bodyâ€”not just pastors.
C. We have a responsibility to seek the gifts. They are not automatic.
1CO 14:1a Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts.
D. We must exercise the gifts.
1 Timothy 4:14 Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.
2 Timothy 1:6-7 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
1. Even though the gifts are supernatural, they can be developed to a greater degree by exercise.
2. We should be patient with people while they are developing the gifts, without going overboard and allowing mayhem.
II. â€œThe manifestation of the Spirit is givenâ€
1 Corinthians 12:8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
A. He gives them to each one, just as he determines.
1. Even though you can develop the gift, i.e. â€œfan it into a flame,â€ it is actually given in a moment. That is, you donâ€™t simply develop gifts when you get to a certain level of maturity.
2. The gifts are not an extension of your personality, neither are they dependent on your personality. They are given by God.
3. God gives the gifts as he chooses. We cannot choose our own gift. And we cannot choose what gift another person has. We simply use the gift that God gave to us.
Example: Spiritual Gifts testsâ€¦ they donâ€™t work!
4. Of course, eventually you move in your gift so frequently that it seems like itâ€™s part of your personality.
B. The Gifts: An Explanation (Note: This is also not an exhaustive listâ€”these are just some common ways the Holy Spirit manifests himself in believers)
1. Word of Wisdom â€“ Wisdom in a situation that doesnâ€™t come from yourself.
2. Word of Knowledge â€“ You know something that you were never told. (not guesswork)
3. Gift of Faith â€“ God has given each person a â€œmeasure of faith,â€ but some have the special gift of Faithâ€¦ a great faith.
4. Gifts of Healing â€“ Self-explanatoryâ€”some people say that nobody has this gift, but when people are healed they have been given a gift of healingâ€¦ but there is no reason to justify this.
5. Miraculous Powers â€“ All kinds of miracles that are not healings.
6. Prophecy â€“ God reveals future events and also supernatural encouragement.
7. Discerning of spirits â€“ This gift can help keep the others in balance. This person will know if a message is spoken by the Spirit of Christ or not. (This one gets little attention, but I think it is very important.
1TH 5:19 Do not put out the Spirit’s fire; 20 do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21 Test everything. Hold on to the good.
8. Speaking in Tongues â€“ Different in function from the sign of the baptism in the Holy Spirit and also from tongues in your personal prayer life (which is available for all)